View Single Post
Old 20th July 2020, 06:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

2001: A Space Odyssey. 1968.

After the discovery of a mysterious artifact buried beneath the Lunar surface, a team are set out to find its origins with the help of a Artificial Intelligence computer named H.A.L. 9000.

Aside from Planet of the apes coming out in the same year, this is one of the best Science-Fiction films from the 60s and seems to have a hate/confused following while others (like myself) enjoyed it. It has stunning cinematography by Geoffrey Unsworth who seems to capture everything in a slow motionless way. The start does tend to drag on a bit then becomes more of a battle of survival with a computer than can control everything that you are only second guessing to what the computer and astronaut will do as if they are playing a game of chess.

The set designs that were created by Kubrick are amazing from the Pan-Am Space Shuttle to the spinning space station and to the interior and exterior of the space ship Discovery, Kier Dullea, Gary Lockwood play the doctors/scientists who are bound for the Lunar surface, and Douglas Rain who provides the voice of H.A.L. the interaction is well built up as they see him as part of the team then the enemy. The only thing that does confuse me is the ending with the Artifact.

stock-video-2001-a-space-odyssey-intro-style-template-11077.jpg