View Single Post
Old 31st July 2020, 10:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

everyone's different. don't get me wrong i'd like a Friday the 13th boxset too but tbh honest those movies have been done to death and i'm actually more excited by the obscure 1950s Japanese Sci-fi

when looking at the Arrow Facebook page I'm struck that their seems to be a certain type of horror fan that Arrow serviced in their early days - it's an early eighties fan who worships Craven, Fulci, Argento, Romero, Carpenter, Savini and Hooper and video nasties and some other fondly remembered eighties titles like The Blob and The Hitcher. I can't help thinking that they will always be disappointed if something of that ilk is not released on a monthly basis.

Maybe I'm of an earlier time but I was brought up reading Gifford and Frank. Books full of movies that I thought I'd never see because they were either too old, too cheap or too obscure. I think that's given me a taste for the antique and the obscure so whilst I'm always grateful for a new scan of the slasher franchises that seem to be forever sequelised and re-booted I'm also happy to take a chance on the outer reaches of horror that I've either never thought I'd see or never even heard of.

I doubt Arrow will ever get back to the days certain fans want because there is just so much more competition for titles now. Best to look at what is being released across all the boutique labels rather than dwell on past glories of one label in particular.