View Single Post
Old 6th August 2020, 03:10 PM
Cult Master

Album #1:
My Generation

Recorded between April – October 1965 at IBC Studios in London, the first album released by the band on December 3rd, 1965 was entitled 'My Generation'...in the UK at least. When it was released in the US on April 25th, 1966, the title had changed to 'The Who Sings My Generation'! The track listing and album cover was also changed

The UK release featured a cover image of the band standing beside some oil drums and looking upward to the camera, with splashes of colour added by the red and blue stencilled letters of the title and a jacket patterned after the Union Flag thrown over John's shoulders. Pete was wearing his school scarf

The US release, however, attempted to jump on the 'British Invasion' bandwagon, and the cover consisted of a shot of the band standing beneath Big Ben

Initially the record was due to be predominantly the R&B covers which made up the live show. However, as the project developed, and Pete wrote more songs, the final release became a mixture of both covers and original numbers. Few albums have been as influential as this one, and many bands that followed have cited 'My Generation' as an inspiration. Indeed, the interplay between Keith's crashing drums, John's speedy, trebly bass, Pete's use of his guitar as a sonic tool rather than a musical instrument and Roger's truculent vocals was unlike anything else at the time. This was punk rock before the term existed!

Special mention must go to Nicky Hopkins, the session pianist who was brought in to help fill out the bands sound, but managed to sound like a fully paid-up member of the group - no mean feat in a quartet as combative as The Who at this early stage of their development

1/12: Opening the first side of the album is 'Out In The Street'. A flamenco-like guitar flourish, reminiscent of the opening of 'Anyway Anyhow Anywhere', starts this spiky, jerked up rocker that sets the stage for their uncompromising style of brutal 'Maximum R&B'

Pete:
This was going to be a single. I hate that 'no, no, no' bit. It was originally 'show me, show me' but Kit Lambert thought it wasn't very good. He wrote all the new lyrics. I'm not going to take the blame for any of them. It sounds all cut about and edited."

"Out!

Out in the street
I'm talkin' 'bout slowly
I'm not gonna rest
Woman, you don't know me

Yeah, you don't know me, no
Know me, no
Know me, no
Yeah, but I'm a-gonna know you

Hey listen, woman
You just can't throw me
I won't stand it
If you don't know me

If you don't know me, no
Know me, no
Know me, no
Yeah, but I'm a-gonna know you

Listen to me
I'm telling you
You look at me, woman
Yeah, tell the truth

I know your mind
I can see that you're in need
I'll show you woman
Yeah, that you belong to me

You're gonna know me, no
Know me, no
Know me, no
Yeah, I'm a-gonna know you

Give me no reasons
Said you'd go free
It's not gonna be now
If you gotta know me

You're gonna know me now
Know me now
Know me now
Yeah, you're gonna know me"

2/12: 'I Don't Mind' was a cover of a song originally recorded by James Brown in 1961. A slow and soulful blues song might sound at odds with the other more violent songs that made up the album, but this was the kind of song that Roger liked singing. Although the pitching isn't quite right, the band create just the right atmosphere - tense and moody. There's also a nice little guitar flourish at the end of the solo

Pete:
"It's just a straight copy, well the best we could do of a James Brown number."

"I don't mind your love
I don't mind the one you're thinkin' of
I know, I know
You gonna miss me

I don't mind your love so sound
I don't mind, it can't go cold
I know, I know
You gonna miss me

I don't mind, it's the end of my song
I don't mind, good-bye, so long