View Single Post
Old 10th August 2020, 07:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default J.D.'s Revenge (1976)

Blaxploitation thriller about J.D., a gangster in the 40's, who is killed after being wrongfully accused of killing his sister.

Fast forward thirty years and we meet Ike. A mild-mannered law student, Ike, is persuaded by his wife to go out on a night out for their friends' first anniversary.

During the night out, they decide it would be fun to visit a hypnotist. Ike is one of the volunteers. During the performance, Ike is possessed by the spirit of J.D., in which he gradually takes on J.D.'d behaviour, dress sense and mannerisms, becoming extremely violent and seeking revenge on the people responsible for he and his sister's deaths.

This film is very entertaining. The pacing is perfect, Glynn Turman is absolubtely brilliant as Ike/possessed Ike in a Jekyll/Hyde performance. Louis Gossett Jr. is also very good as an energetic priest who J.D. has a history with.

I struggle to find any real complaints about this film. Maybe it could have been a little longer, to give a little more development between three of the characters (any more will head into spoiler territory). It also flashes back too many times to the cow having its throat cut, but it didn't bother me too much. Not for the squeamish.

I loved this! 8/10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg J.D.'s Revenge.jpg (67.5 KB, 4 views)