View Single Post
Old 10th August 2020, 07:40 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yep SE7EN for me as well.
Myself and Mrs Reaps (Then Miss Reaps) saw it at the cinema too.

I've been on a Fincher bender this weekend which explains my abscence on here.

Started with the superb Zodiac on Thursday night.Love this film,the performances are spot on,the setting,mood and atmosphere,all superb.
The problem I have with Zodiac is that there's no 'boot in the balls'.We know the outcome and it slightly detracts from what is otherwise a perfect movie.

Friday night saw another viewing of THE GAME.My second fave Fincher film.
One of the most original films I'd ever seen,I remember buying it on tape when first released.

Saturday night saw another viewing of SE7EN,a film (along with it's '90's sister,SILENCE OF THE LAMBS) I never tire of repeat viewings.
It's nasty,has likable heroes,a genius killer and the most almighty backhander across the face in cinema history! (Yes that includes you Malcolm Crowe and you Keyser Soze)
A masterpiece that even the talents of Fincher will never replicate.

The second half of the Saturday night double bill was ALIEN 3.
Now I don't actually know if this is Fincher's director's cut,but I sure as hell prefer it to the theatrical version.It's only one division below ALIEN and ALIENS,the other sequels,prequels,entertaining that they are are not in the same leagues.

So,Sunday midday started with FIGHT CLUB,a film which caused quite a stir along with THE MATRIX back in the day with the advent of DVD,the special features being somewhat groundbreaking.
Pitt,one of my favourite actors along with Bonham-Carter are superb,but are somewhat let down by the snivelling Norton.I suppose though,his geekish performance IS the alter-ego to Pitt's all-macho,tough as nails doppleganger.

Next we moved on to PANIC ROOM.
Why this hasn't been released on Blu Ray is baffling.However,it did look quite nifty on Betamax upscaled on a bd player.
Panic Room has had some stick over the years.Unfairly in my opinion.
For almost the duration of the film,a single setting keeps us thrilled from start to finish.With a minimal cast in place we care about Foster and her daughter AND Forest Whitaker's crim with a heart and almost feel sorry for him at the finale whilst Leto,Yoakum and Bauchau all get their just desserts.

Finally we had time for GONE GIRL.
At almsot three hours it is testament to Affleck and the superb Rosamund Pike that we are enthralled and the running time flies by.
Pike makes Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction look like Dorothy Gale.
When I first bought this,I thought it was going to be a romantic film....how wrong I was!

Next up is Benjamin Button,which I've not seen and the excellent GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO.

Don't know if I can bring myself to watch The Social Network as I can't stand Zuckerberg.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.