View Single Post
Old 14th August 2020, 12:26 PM
Cult Master

When released in the US, the title change of 'My Generation' to 'The Who Sings My Generation' was not the only difference. As seen above, the track listing for the second side ran: The Kids Are Alright / Please, Please, Please / It's Not True / I'm a Man / A Legal Matter / The Ox. The US version omitted 'I'm A Man' and replaced it with 'The Ox'. A new song was then used to close the album

'Circles' was the last thing produced by Shel Talmy for the band. It was scheduled to be released on the Brunswick Records lable as the 'A'-side of a single on February 18, 1966 probably with the unreleased track "Instant Party Mixture" as the B-side, but was withdrawn when it became clear that The Who intended to break their contract with Talmy. Eventually it appeared on the B-side of the "A Legal Matter" single in Europe where it was re-titled 'Instant Party'

"Circles, my head is going round in circles
My mind is caught up in a whirlpool
Dragging me down

Time will tell if I'll take the homeward track
Dizziness will make my feet walk back
Walk right back to you

chorus:
Everything I do, I think of you
No matter how I try, I can't get by
These circles, leading me back to you

Round and around and around and around and around
and around and around and around and around

And round and round like a fool I go
Down and down in the pool I go
Dragging me down

(chorus)

There one thing could kill the pain of losing you
But it gets me so dizzy then I'm walking right back again
Back to you

Time will tell if these dreams are nearly fact
Don't know why I left, I'm coming back
Coming on back to you"

In 2002 the album was given the Deluxe Edition treatment, and it was re-issued as a double disc set. The first disc followed the listing for the original UK release ('Out In The Streeet' - 'The Ox') followed by 'Circles', the single release 'I Can't Explain' and two previously released 'B' sides 'Bald Headed Woman' and 'Daddy Rolling Stone'

The second disc contained:
  • 'Leaving Here' - already noted as being recorded by The High Numbers
  • 'Lubie (Come Back Home)' - Cover of a song by Paul Revere and the Raiders
  • 'Shout And Shimmy' - Cover of a 1962 James Brown song which was used as the 'B' side to the 'My Generation' single in Europe
  • 'Heat Wave' - Cover of the Martha And The Vandellas song which was also included on the bands second album 'A Quick One'
  • 'Motoring' - Another Martha Reeves And The Vandellas cover
  • 'Anytime You Want Me' - The 'B' side to the U.S. and Australian 'Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere' single release
  • 'Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere' -= Previously released as a single by the band
  • 'nstant Party Mixture' - Completely different to the 'Circles' / 'Instant Party' release (confusing, eh!)
The remaining songs on the second disc are extended versions of 'I Don't Mind' and 'The Good's Gone' from the first album, an instrumental version of 'My Generation', an a cappella version of 'Anytime You Want Me' and mono versions with guitar overdubs of both 'A Legal Matter' and 'My Generation

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty