View Single Post
Old 14th August 2020, 04:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Okay, going to admit i wasn't expecting this but the new Deep Purple album is brilliant.

Of course i wanted it to be decent but the main reason i bought it early was to make sure i got the live dvd, yet it's blown me away just how good this is.

You know when you listen to an album in full and after a certain number of songs you expect a lull? Well, with Whoosh! you never get a lull, the songs just stay on an incredibly strong level.

The songs themselves aren't what you'd call epic in length i think only two manage to surpass the five minute mark but the album as a whole feels epic thanks to a superb production job from Bob Ezrin, and i'd just like to mention new boys guitarist Steve Morse (26 years with the band) and keyboard maestro Don Airey (18 years) when they come to the fore in the music the songs just soar away onto another plane entirely.

It's been a long, long time since i've been so impressed with an album on first listen (It's now first and a half listen) and i really didn't expect it to be this one.