View Single Post
Old 28th August 2020, 10:55 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

D-Tox (2002)

Director Jim Gillespie is most famous for I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997), well, this snow bound Sylvester Stallone starrer is practically I Know What You Did Last Winter.

Whilst there's nothing remotely new here i do find there's quite a bit to enjoy with D-Tox, in which Stallone's cop is sent to a remote rehab centre in a bid to come to terms with alcohol abuse following his wife's murder by a serial killer. The snowy location work is great and actually reminds me of Kubrick's The Shining more than any other movie but that's where the similarities end as D-Tox is a straight down the middle slasher movie with a killer running amok among the patients and staff at the former military base now police rehab hospital.

Aside from Stallone the movie has a pretty good cast for this sort of thing including Kris Kristofferson, Robert Patrick, Polly Walker, Tom Berenger, Jeffrey Wright and the always watchable character actor Charles S. Dutton.

The film has a bit of atmosphere, reasonable suspense and one or two inventive and gory murders and is a better movie than it's reputation suggests. Sure it's fairly forgettable but that's cool as it means i can return to it in a few years and it'll feel like a new movie just as it did this time round.