View Single Post
Old 20th September 2020, 10:08 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) ★★★★★

This film not only incorporates the main title of Hunter S. Thompson's seminal novel, but also, through its cinematography and design, fully embraces the subtitle: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream

The rapid tonal shifts, from surreal comedy to horrendous tension, frivolity to nightmarish danger are essential to accurately portray the essence and content of Thompson's text. Based on the interviews and archive footage I've seen and heard with Thompson, Johnny Depp's performance is remarkable, the resemblance is uncanny more with the behaviour and speech than his physiognomy.

It's a remarkable film, a huge accomplishment because it not only brought the book to the screen, but did it in a way which is funny, energetic, uncomfortable, and completely unique.

I'm not surprised it's a film which wasn't a critical or commercial success in 1998 – it's weird and difficult to classify – but it's equally no surprise established a sizeable fan base in the 20+ years since it was released.

I've seen this film many times since I first bought the Criterion Collection DVD and have since bought the Criterion Collection Blu-ray release and now the Arrow Video Blu-ray. Watching it for the first time in several years makes me want to read the book again before I next watch the film.