View Single Post
Old 28th September 2020, 07:27 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Foo Fighters: Guardian Angels (2005) ★★

As an unauthorised documentary without any of the Foo Fighters' music, this needed a unique angle to differentiate it from films made with the band's cooperation and endorsement, such as Foo Fighters: Back and Forth.

Because it has contributions from writers, a musician, Robert Lang, in whose studio the debut album was recorded, and a radio DJ rather than recent contemporaries of the Foo Fighters and former band members, a lot of what is said is opinion and conjecture rather than any definitive details which can't be gleaned from the Wikipedia page. There is a bit of interview footage with Dave Grohl that it looks like something from a press junket because it was recorded when he was at a festival and Alanis Morissette was playing in the background; there is also some other low quality, archive interview footage and audio interviews without much context.

The documentary also looks and sounds cheap, shot in 4:3, with stereo sound and no subtitles, and with fairly unimaginative captions and section breaks. One caption even credits Jordan McLachlan as writing for 'Rythm Magazine', a jarring typo which should have been noticed and corrected before the DVD was released.

I'm glad I only paid £1.99 for this, but still think I was overcharged. Avoid.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 30th September 2020 at 01:06 PM.