View Single Post
Old 5th October 2020, 10:24 AM
Cult Master

Clocking in at just over 10 minutes, and closing the second side of the first album, 'Underture' is the longest studio track the band ever recorded. It's a lengthy instrumental, based around the 'Rael' / 'Sparks' melody showing Tommy's acid trip after his encounter with the gypsy

When played live, it became a piece de resistance of ensemble playing, with Pete, John, Keith and Roger (on tambourine) each pushing one another higher and higher until the tune exploded at the climax

An early version of the track was called 'Dream (Psychedelic)'

The second album opens with the short vocal link 'Do You Think It's Alright' which leads into another song by John - the hideous 'Fiddle About' - which tells of Tommy's dreadful experiences at the hands of the perverted Uncle Ernie, who was presumably father to Cousin Kevin!

Although it's an idea vehicle for John's warped sense of humour, the depraved and mildly amusing comic song sounds very out of place when compared the the more serious numbers that Pete was coming up with for the album

Initially, when the song was performed live, John would take the role of Ernie, but during later shows, Keith took over and reveled in the malevolence!

"I'm your wicked Uncle Ernie
I'm glad you won't see or hear me
As I fiddle about
Fiddle about
Fiddle about !

Your mother left me here to mind you
Now I'm doing what I want to
Fiddling about
Fiddling about
Fiddle about!

Down with the bedclothes
Up with the nightshirt!