View Single Post
Old 26th October 2020, 12:10 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 26

MV5BMjM3NzQ5NDcxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzM4MTQ5NTM@._V1_.jpg

In a remote part of Romania a nun is found hanged outside the Abby doors suicide is seen as the ultimate sim within the Catholic faith so the Vatican swiftly sends s priest and a novice nun who has yet to complete her vows to investigate what happened. The Abby has a history of strange goings on and the church is worried the Abby is no longer a holy place.

The Nun gets off to a great start its shot well its very creepy and the Abby has a very sinister bibe to it. The forests around the Abby have tons of crosses hanging from the trees and in thr ground keeping evil in rather than keeping it out and that along with the constant rolling fog creates the atmosphere. The acting is solid the story starts off well but the Frenchie character didn't sit well with me is he a potential love interest for the novice nun before he completes her training is he the hero or is he the comic relief like the film needs that at all. To me i think they half arsed it and he is supposed to be all those things but they didn't commit to any of them and its quickly brushed aside plus any comic relief he is supposed to bring fell flat everytime.

After a great start for me it started to go down hill using cheap loud jump scares to get the audience going but they are do predictable. In films like this less is more let the atmosphere you build give the scares what i love about spirits hauntings or religious horror is the creepy feel knowing there is something dark lurking you make your own unease but when its just suddenly repeatedly thrown in your face its ruins it. The nun herself is underused really and when she is its to cartoony to have any effect.

They missed a trick here promising start but quickly went off the rails.

The score is for the first half of the film.

4/10