View Single Post
Old 31st October 2020, 03:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Hellraiser: Hellseeker (2002)

Well I thought this was quite good. I've heard terrible things about the Hellraiser sequels and it's prevented from watching them all so far. But this is better than 3 and 5 and probably about on par with 4.

When it started it goes straight to the title screens and Ashley Lawrence pops up second on the bill which got me very interested right away, then 2 minutes later she was dead and spends the rest of her screen time in grainy flashbacks, oh well, it was still a good way to tie this in with the original 2 films having Kirsty in it.

Dean Winters as Trevor is our lead, he wakes up in the hospital after suffering a blinding headache and apparently not remembering that his wife Kirsty died in a car crash last month while he was at the wheel. His headaches get worse and he starts to detach from reality while he has them. These episodes are handled well I thought, they are suitably confusing for both Trevor and the viewer, the unreliable narrator trope is exploited to the full here. Can we believe Trevor's version of reality or is there more to it?

There are Cenobites too, decent looking ones as well, also good special effects, I have to admit, the ubiquitous chains, hooks and flesh combo is particularly wince inducing this time around, the flesh looking a lot less rubbery and the blood looking much more real!

Not the worst film I've seen this October by a long shot! Hellworld is the remaining sequel I have on the 4 film bluray I have, I don't have high hopes for that one at all! I might save it for next year!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky