View Single Post
Old 24th November 2020, 10:32 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 593

For the shows 57th anniversary i watched an old favourite that i hadn't seen for years.

Earthshock (1982)

It's easy to be dismissive of Matthew Waterhouse and his character Adric, it's easy to simply call him irritating then move on but Earthshock is really all about Adric and his relationship with the other members of the TARDIS crew, the Doctor in particular, at least dring episodes one and four.

Certainly he starts off at his bratty petulant best and the character of the Doctor, brilliantly portrayed by Peter Davison, has real quarrels with him the likes we've never seen between the Time Lord and a companion. However, one superbly gripping story with the Cybermen later and Adric's death brings a genuine tear to the eye, or should i say the look on the Doctor's face does, in the most emotionally charged scenes in classic Doctor Who.

What i did find interesting in this was the amount of killing involved. Resurrection of the Daleks two years later is often noted for it's high body count and amounts of blood shed, but in Earthshock the Doctor kills a Cyberman by shooting it several times including point blank in the chest, Tegan kills another and even Nyssa, kindly Nyssa, shoots to kill.

Adric's broken star badge was the freeze frame as the end credits to Earthshock episode four ran in complete silence.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Adric's Star (Large).jpg (29.9 KB, 25 views)