View Single Post
Old 25th November 2020, 03:25 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
An Alice Cooper Welcome To My Nightmare special edition dvd arrived today.

I have seen the concert many times over the years (frustratingly this version is an edited cut - for no discernible reason, a song is missing) but I have never seen the 1975 Nightmare television special with Vincent Price (hangs head in shame).

The Nightmare special was the big draw and for that reason, the dvd is well worth the 6.50 pounds that I paid for it. My wife and I will watch the 65 minute television special after my work shift tonight.

I happily own the guilty pleasure Monster Dog on Spanish blu-ray and am up for a bit more of Alice Cooper doing some acting (I'm assuming that he doesn't just sing songs in The Nightmare).
Here's what I said about it, back in 2017 when it was first released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
That's disappointing

I have just got a copy of the new 'Welcome To My Nightmare' DVD release. It's lucky it contains the television special because the actual concert seems to have taken a step backwards.

The picture doesn't seem as good as it did on the previous release, neither does it sound as loud. [As a comparison, I had the new release on volume 12, but that was much too loud for the original version, and I had to turn it down to 9 to get the same effect!]

Worse, however, is that it looks like the new version has been edited. Admittedly I have just been jumping thru it, but (although it is noted on the cover track listing) the song 'Department Of Youth' seems to be missing. There is the basic three-chord guitar riff (audio) over the visuals, but the song itself doesn't appear to be there

This is possibly confirmed by a quick check of the run times:
Original release - 83:41
New release - 78:53

This isn't the first time an Alice Cooper DVD release has been wrong. The cover to 'The Nightmare Returns' states that the disc has a run time of 170 mins, while it is actually closer to 75mins!

Presumably, most Alice fans already have a copy of the 'WTMN' concert, and the big draw on this version is the television special - I know it was for me! However, I don't think I'll be getting rid of the original release in the near future

Oh, it also comes with an 8 page booklet that contains information about the shows (expected), and also reproductions of the original ABC announcement about the television show and a letter from Vincent Price to 'Alice, Shep et al' and arachnophobes beware - the menu screen comes with animated spiders!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty