View Single Post
Old 29th November 2020, 03:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) ★★★★★

"Madness"

2020 has been the year of catching up with films which most people have already seen but not I. This one, the battle of wills between Nicholson and Saito is among the best of them. Absolutely perfect Sunday afternoon viewing.

It's first half being about building a bridge and the failure of the project due to Nicholson refusing to allow his officers to work manual jobs in the prisoner of war camp and the British prisoners falling apart under a lack of leadership. Alec Guinness on top form as Nicholson giving a power house performance of Great British stiff upper lip and resolve while Colonel Saito stands by utterly powerless against it.

Then comes the plot by the British army to destroy the bridge, cutting off supply routes needed by the enemy forces. This is where the conflict between right and wrong hits home strong. We've seen the men struggle to get this bridge built and overcome every obstacle, we know that it needs to be destroyed but we don't want that work to be for nothing!

The final 10 minutes of this film as a taut as any modern day thriller, I was literally holding my breath and clenching my fists in anticipation of what was surely going to unfold of screen, it didn't quite happen the way I thought it would but it was still a relief!

Fantastic!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky