View Single Post
Old 29th November 2020, 08:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampconcept View Post
I have never seen Dr. Who before. Saw some clips on Youtube, looks good. Which series is the best one to watch?
Good question. The best place to start would be Patrick Troughton. One story that's always been a significant starting point for me was The Tomb of the Cybermen. Troughton was so perfectly cast as the Doctor, and War Games being a 10-parter, showed the dynamic range of Troughton's Doctor with a story that pushed the boundaries of Dr Who storytelling on a limited budget.

iank said, Tom Baker is the Doctor Who icing on the cake. The cherries on that Tom Baker icing in terms of stories would be Seeds of Doom, The Deadly Assassin, The Talons of Weng-Chiang, Horror of Fang Rock, and if you can swallow a vampire on a model stick, leader vampire, the "Great One" in the State of Decay. State of Decay has some delightful Gothic tones, and superb costume design with a rather sinister story of three vampire lords who rule the planet. Baker's on fine form though. I would actually recommend watching the entire E-Space Trilogy (Full Circle, State of Decay and Warriors Gate), which State of Decay is a part of.

Peter Davison had the classic Earthshock, but do look at Mawdryn Undead, I still rather enjoy the story as a singular story on it's own. And of course, my favourite Davison story, The Visitation. Watch out for a truly BAFTA Award Winning Performance by Michael Robbins as Richard Mace, he steals the show. Black Orchid is great as well.

As for New Who under Chris Chibnall and those fart heads at the BBC, it's totally killed the show off, and rewrote Dr Who law. But at least you have some REAL Dr Who to make you respect the show when it actually meant something in the heart of those that enjoyed it. Good Luck!