View Single Post
Old 30th November 2020, 07:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

The New Mutants. A group of young mutants interred in an isolated hospital for safety until they can control their new abilities are joined by a new girl, after which each begins to experience terrifyingly real hallucinations of their worst nightmares - and begin to suspect the real reason for their incarceration may be anything but benign. Pretty much the only "new" movie I've seen this year bar Jumanji The Next Level at the cinema in January, this has looked interesting to me for a while, though reshoots and poor reviews rather dissuaded my enthusiasm. But I blind bought it anyway and I'm actually glad I did. This makes a refreshing change from the usual comic book fare, being more of a thriller/horror set in the X-Men universe and often feeling more like a late 90s teen horror than the usual, though we still have to have CGI overload in the climax (of course). But overall I found the cast, characters and story engaging, and at 90 minutes (the last 5 of which are credits) it doesn't have time to get dull or hang around too long. And I rather liked the little love story between Maisie Williams and the lead girl, which was sweet but understated and just there and not made a song and dance about. I enjoyed this far more than I expected.