View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I highly rated midsommar, but the hatred it gets is unreal and people keep saying wickerman rip off, oh come wickerman was released in the 70s and apart from wickerman not really many films can compare either of these two if that was the case you could almost compare nearly every film to another film these days, just glad that a film that was different than remakes, sequels, reboots, spin off, tv version of a film, marvel / Dc etc etc, it’s good that there is slowly a few films breaking out and breaking away from the norm and providing something new fresh and different eg vvitch, the lighthouse etc, the light house is a fantastic film that again is getting bad reviews but I think people are missing the story and concept of the about slow decent into madness because there only 2 people in the film and complaining it’s slow dull and boring, if that’s the case then stick to mind numbing crash bang wallop action packed soulless Micheal Bay shite.
Midsommar is also quite similar to Ti West's The Sacrament as well as The Wicker Man.

In all honesty it's is unsettling in it's final third but lacks any dramatic tension up till then and the story is hardly gripping, seemingly borrowing from a multitude of genre sources in reaching it's destination and it's way too long.

Basically it was over hyped i thought and although i didn't hate it or anything like that but anyone into Folk Horror in all it's guises won't find anything new with it aside from it's shot totally in sunlight.