View Single Post
Old 17th December 2020, 06:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 11

The Assent (2019)

The film title refers to the third stage of demonic possession - the first two being the presence and the affliction. The Assent is one of the subtler demonic possession movies i've seen, dealing with a child being possessed (don't they all) but also the child's father's schizophrenia which manifests itself in weird and wonderful ways throughout the film giving quick flashes of Hellraiser style malevolence which director Pearry Reginald Teo did so brilliantly in Necromentia (2009).

Although clearly low budget the film does a pretty good job of keeping things interesting with one or two flourishes that make this different from the norm. For instance having a nurse (An uncredited Tatum O' Neal) on hand during the exorcism in case things go awry.

The Assent is a slo-burn horror movie which won't appeal to all, especially those who like jump scares every fifteen minutes, but it is well acted by all and has a good use of practical effects. All in all although it's not a particularly original film it's one i'll return to in the future and i can't say the same about most films of this genre.