Thread: Censorship
View Single Post
Old 28th December 2020, 09:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Giving warnings is not censorship. It's just another form of classification. Stuff that is broadcast to the masses has always been subject to this, hence the 9pm watershed and such like. In a way, having the warning is a good indicator that it hasn't been censored. I suspect a lot of this stuff in the future though will only be available to be streamed so if you want to watch it you will have to seek it out. That's not really new either as film collectors often had to buy physical copies of films to avoid the infamous 'TV versions'.

I'm ok with warnings if it helps people choose. It could also have the effect of bringing in more viewers as people are often intrigued by 'forbidden fruit'. I mean how many people rushed home from the pub or set their video recorders because Channel 4 slapped a Red Triangle on some obscure foreign language film?
Or when they did the banned seasons, how many would probably not give the film a 2nd glance or thought if it hadn’t stuck the word banned besides it.