View Single Post
Old 26th January 2021, 12:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
This is an interesting question and I guess everyone probably has a different opinion. When I was growing up watching the horror films starring Karloff, Lugosi, Cushing and Lee on the telly they were curated for you by the BBC and ITV and therefore you only got to see the best ones. But I was reading books where they were referencing films that never turned up such as the Poverty Rows of the 30s/40s, 1950s AIPs, Italian gothics, American Indies of the 60s and 70s. Generally the opinion of these was low but I was still intrigued and wondered how I would ever get to see them? And then came VHS, DVD and Bluray. Sure I might wade through a lot of crap to discover the odd gem, but honestly, I enjoy it and the background to a lot of these cheapies is a lot more interesting than a studio blockbuster.

I once read somewhere that you can only be defined as a true genre fan if you embrace the whole of the genre - the rough with the smooth, the good with the bad, the ugly and the beautiful. I think I'm just about there, but goddamnit, there are some out there that test even my patience - yes I'm looking at you Troma
I’ve always preferred the lesser films, unknown, obscure, cheese fest, grindhouse etc, bad taste, sense of freedom, combat shock, men behind the sun, dead and buried, gareth marenghis darkplace similar films and tv shows over 99% Hollywood Blockckbuster wether it’s got loads of stars or just a huge budget.