Thread: Bela Lugosi
View Single Post
Old 26th February 2021, 04:16 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The_Invisible_Ray_poster.jpg

Dr. Janos Rukh invites some fellow doctors and friends to his house to show them his latest invention a giant telescope that can see into the depths of space that no one has ever seen before. The telescope captures rays of light that allow Janos to see into the past where he witnesses a meteor crashing into earth. He pitches the idea to his collegues to go to Africa to track down the meteor and take it back to Europe. While digging up the meteor Janos gets exposed to the radiation that will surely claim his life but Dr. Benet (Lugosi) creates an antidote to save his life. Dr. Benet chips off a peice of the meteor and takes it back with him to help cure blindness and while he is getting great success his friend is left suffering the side effects of the radiation when at night he starts to glow in the dark and even his touch can kill a person. Janos is enraged by the fact his friend stole his discovery and is getting all the benifits and glory while his is left hiding in the shadows with his afliction so he sets out to get his revenge on all the members of the expedition.

Two greats on screen together is such a joy to watch they play off of each other perfectly. I love the sets the acting the pacing of the film everything just works i always laugh that peoples complaints about this film is the science makes no scense i mean come on who goes into a film like this and picks hole in that the science is rediculous but the glowing man is fine give me a break . My main problem with a lot of films of the time is that they fly by too quickly i always want more its not that its left unresolves or im not satisfied with how things play out its just that the acting and stories are so fun i just want to watch it again straight after it finished. The film while not strictly horror it has plebty of elements of horror and more of a horror atmosphere and that blends perfectly with the drama and sci-fi.

I love this film and over the years i have watched it many time and i still get excited to see Lugosi and Karloff together its just a blast from start to finish.

9/10

Last edited by Nordicdusk; 27th February 2021 at 12:48 PM.