View Single Post
Old 1st March 2021, 11:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Legend of the Witches (1970)

A revelatory documentary which looks in detail at magic rites and rituals whilst exploring the origins of witchcraft in Britain. Beginning with a man's initiation into a coven - always makes me cringe as the initiation involves chasing round the woods blindfold and totally naked. I'm sure i'd stub my toes after five seconds or stand on something sharp and be on the ground whimpering - then there's the very controversial divination through animal sacrifice which i'm sure is there for shock purposes only as it involves the ritualistic killing of a chicken before it's entrails are 'read' in bloody close up.

The film also features a 'Black Mass' and explores Britain's hidden pagan heritage and its continued influence on our lives today, despite rigorous persecution by the Church throughout history.

Whilst the soothing voice overs and stark but beautifully filmed black and white images are all quite hypnotic (You can feel like you are falling under a spell) it also comes across very much like a showcase for Alex Sanders and his wife Maxine. Sanders founded Alexandrian Wicca during the 1960s and was a high priest of the Neo-Pagan religion whilst Maxine was a priestess. It's their (Good looking and extremely naked) coven which features throughout Legend of the Witches and they perform all the rituals, but because Sanders frequently courted the press and as much publicity as possible at the time that showcase ideology remains.

As it is Legend of the Witches is practically a time capsule for the age and features some of the greatest scenes on film of the witchcraft vibe of the late sixties and early seventies and i fall under it's hazy spell each and every time i watch it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Legend_of_the_Witches-847292293-large.jpg (45.5 KB, 3 views)