View Single Post
Old 19th March 2021, 03:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Bought the first series of Pennyworth the other day and i'm currently four episodes into it.

Really liking it. Love the fact that it's set in a slightly skewiff alternate reality sixties Britain. I'd not heard of Jack Bannon who plays the fresh from the SAS Alfred Pennyworth before but like sister show Gotham's lead Ben McKenzie he quickly grew on me even if he is at times trying to do his best Michael Caine impression.

The fact that so far it's anything but a superhero show is extremely refreshing with the young Pennyworth trying to make his way in life as a security consultant and meeting the lovely Esme, whilst the shadowy Raven Society is always in the background.

My favourite thing about the show is Paloma Faith. ****ing hell, how good is she as the deranged Bet Sykes? A barnstorming performance with her fruity language and interaction with sis Polly Walker.

Of all the superhero shows i've watched this is by far the most 'adult'. Especially in the language (Plenty of 'f*cks' and 'C**ts' each episode) and gore departments - the end of episode two saw several hangings with the recipients gutted in front of a baying crowd.

The cinematography is also excellent.

The finale of episode four was a bit of a shock / surprise ending which was great.
Saw this way last year highly enjoyed it, 2nd season premiered in December was supposed to watch but it didn’t get round to it and completely forgot .