View Single Post
Old 8th April 2021, 10:36 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989) ★★★★

I probably hadn't seen this in about 30 years, but I watched it a few times when I was younger (I think I saw it at the cinema) and it felt both familiar and fresh.

The film has aged very well with the visual effects and clever use of super-sized scenery to create a genuine sense of wonder and exhilaration. Compared to some modern films, its 93-minute running time is relatively short, but it zips along at a good pace with clever, energetic direction from Joe Johnson, and a brilliant score by James Horner.

The characters may be somewhat clichéd, but they are all well written and brought to life with committed and engaging performances from the entire cast, by Rick Moranis, Kristine Sutherland, Matt Frewer, Marcia Strassman, Thomas Wilson Brown, Jared Rushton, Amy O'Neill, and Robert Oliveri. From the adults to the children, they are all very good and there isn’t a weak link.

Despite the film feeling somewhat predictable, it still has a genuine sense of danger and excitement. It's a great family film that has stood the test of time – it's still enjoyable after multiple viewings across several decades. It will probably continue to entertain children and adults alike many years from now.

Honey, I Blew Up the Kid (1992) ★★

There is a lot of comedy potential in a toddler the size of a grizzly bear in the suburbs or walking around a city like a babyish Godzilla. It's a shame that none of it is in this film.

Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves (1997) ★½

This threequel suffers from a tired concept and casting problems, with Rick Moranis the only actor from the first two films to appear.

It is notable for an early screen appearance by Mila Kunis in a small role and the scene in which a teenage girl lectures a boy about the importance of consent in romantic/sexual situations is commendable and ahead of its time.