View Single Post
Old 30th July 2021, 04:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

https://www.ihorror.com/waterworld-i...of-a-tv-series

Waterworld’ is Getting a Sequel in the Form of a TV Series

It is a perfect day to rejoice and stop and smell the roses. Cause, today is a little brighter. For, ya see, there is a Waterworld sequel on the way. That’s right you guys. Finally, The Mariner is returning to the spotlight as he should be. The whole thing is already in motion, but hasn’t yet become an official greenlight.

10 Cloverfield Lane’s director, Dan Trachtenberg is going to direct the pilot episode and the search has begun for writers to work on the series. So, while it isn’t locked in for an official greenlight, we are well on our way according to producers John Fox and John Martin.

The original cult classic was directed by Kevin Reynolds based on a screenplay by Peter Rader and David Twohy. It saw a world whose ice caps were melted, the result was an earth that was completely submerged in water. The adventurer, The Mariner (Kevin Costner) survived out at sea and was half fishman that could breath underwater.

you recall The Mariner went up against a gang of pirates called The Smokers that were lead by an eye patch-wearing and quite comic bookish, Dennis Hopper. If you recall, quite comically their barge was completely surrounded by smoke due to the whole crew smoking cigarettes.

The film was entirely over budget and was the most expensive film ever made at the time. It was up in the $170 million range. Sadly, the film didn’t do very well at the box office. I’m completely confused as to why that was to this day. It was like Mad Max at sea. What’s not to not love about that?

The streaming series hasn’t found a home yet, but as Dan Trachtenberg and team have began putting the pieces together, I’m sure we aren’t very far off. I’m hoping that Costner comes back aboard. There are good chances of that considering to this day, Costner says that it was one of his favorite films that he ever worked on.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 30th July 2021 at 07:50 PM.