View Single Post
Old 19th September 2021, 03:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

BROTHERHOOD OF SATAN – Interesting ‘drive in’ era horror plunges us into satanic goings-on in a small desert town. It’s a strange affair, a film which wrongfoots the audience with a slightly wooden atmosphere before dissolving into a drifty, dreamy weirdness. There’s a starchiness to the single-set scenes in which the film’s protags, a wholesome lot stranded in the middle of nowhere, hang out in the sheriff’s office and try to get their heads around the occult siege that’s shut the community down. We get a dab of claustrophobia with this, but the sequences showing the Brotherhood and their creepy rituals take the film into far richer atmospheric territory, and it is here that we see a few of the kind of psychedelically tinged nightmare visuals that regional seventies horror cinema was often good for. ‘The Brotherhood of Satan’ is an effective slow burn that seems to accumulate a grim sort of delirium. Kudos to Arrow for (what for me is) a first-time watch.
I think i'll have to give this a rewatch as i thought it was really boring when i saw it. I have it on a double bill with the more impressive Mr. Sardonicus.

Unless of course you were on stimulants of some sort. That would explain it.