View Single Post
Old 17th October 2021, 10:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The Dark Eyes of London (1939)

Bela Lugosi in one of his British films plays an insurance man whose clients all seem to be dying, suspicious no? Throw in a bizarre looking brute for no real reason and a beautiful love interest for one of the detectives investigating the cases and you have all the ingredients for an entertaining police mystery that sets out to find out what's up. Enjoyable!

Dolls (1987)

Stuart Gordon's creepy movie about toys that come to life when no-one is looking. A first time watch for me and I have to say I really enjoyed this one but bloody hell, how weird is it haha. Is it supposed to be set in England? I mean it's clearly not filmed there but you have those 2 "punk" girls who look more like 80's Madonna that Siouxsie Sioux and the cars have right-hand steering wheels and then all of the other cast are American. I loved all the creepy scenes with the dolls, vicious little buggers

The Invisible Man (2020)

Not at all what I was expecting. Elizabeth Moss plays the wife of a controlling tech inventor, and one night while he sleeps she escapes his grasp and goes into hiding. It's reported that he has killed himself but she is convinced that he has faked his death and is stalking her, since no-one can see him they all think that's she's losing her mind. It's all very un-nerving and it had me on edge, especially when the camera pans to an empty space and my eyes are darting all over to try and see something, but nothing is there! This tension and unease builds and builds but then is almost undone when it transpires that the husband had invented this 'optical suit' that can make the wearer invisible. So while there are some brilliant set pieces in the final act it stopped being scary. Still enjoyable but could have been a little better!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky