View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2021, 11:37 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
FRANKIE'S HALLOWEEN SPECTACULAR #9

KILLER BARBYS – This is Jess Franco being Jess Franco – rampant atmosphere, doesn’t make sense at all, attempts at eroticism that are just dull or slimy, and absolutely no f*cks given. The ‘Killer Barbys’ (sic) are a punk band who end up stranded in the crumbling mansion of a Princess Bathory type; various gothic goings-on ensue, along with bits of really cheap, rubbish gore. One line goes that most of this, from the lame humour to the overlong scenes of not-even-very-visible people shagging in the back of a Winnebago, is abysmal. But somehow Franco’s morbid poetry shines through it all. Somehow, he is able to weave a threadbare tapestry of decaying opulence, shots of grotesque little objects, and mist-shrouded exteriors, and make it seem far more alluring than anything else put out in 1996. Many others won’t share that view, but this is definitely one for the fans.
Does it say something about me that i've seen Killer Barbys way more times than the twice i've watched Hooper's 'classic' TCM?