View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2021, 11:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just seen this,
If it’s already been posted I do apologise, and feel free to delete it .

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a38138...ative-control/

BBC responds to claims it is giving up 'creative direction' of Doctor Who for Russell T Davies return
RTD will return following Jodie Whittaker's regeneration.

The BBC is pushing back on reports that it will give up "creative direction" of Doctor Who once Russell T Davies returns to the series.

Davies, who brought Doctor Who back to BBC One in 2005, is going to run the science fiction show once again after Jodie Whiitaker's Doctor regenerates in 2022.

The deal to bring Davies and his production partners at Bad World back into the fold at Doctor Who is now the subject of financial and creative interest for the BBC.

The Times published a report claiming that Bad Wolf would take over producing Doctor Who from BBC Studios, potentially causing a loss of £40 million for the BBC for every ten episodes made.

According to this report, Bad Wolf would also take control of "creative direction" of the show, while the BBC would move into selling the series overseas.

A spokesperson for BBC Studios has since responded by clarifying that the BBC will continue having commercial oversight as a way to further establish Doctor Who as a global brand.

"We're incredibly excited about the future of Doctor Who. BBC Studios is ultimately responsible for delivering the show and this production partnership is about long-term investment that will radically build on the already huge success of the show and franchise worldwide," a BBC representative said.

The BBC stunned fans in September by announcing that Russell T Davies would return as showrunner of Doctor Who nearly 12 years after he left the show.

Davies said at that time: "I'm beyond excited to be back on my favourite show. But we're time-travelling too fast, there's a whole series of Jodie Whittaker's brilliant Doctor for me to enjoy, with my friend and hero Chris Chibnall at the helm. I'm still a viewer for now."

The writer will take over Doctor Who for the show's 60th anniversary in 2023 and future series.