View Single Post
Old 29th December 2021, 04:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default December 23rd

Hagazussa (2017)

Pretentious glacially paced arthouse horror film (minus any horror) mentioned, ridiculously, in the same breath as Robert Eggers' masterful The Witch.

Whilst the long shots of German forests and mountainsides were lovely to look at that's about as exciting as this film got. There's barely any dialogue and truthfully nothing of note happens. I wanted to like Hagazussa, it created an atmosphere with eerie music and long lingering shots but there was no payoff whatsoever, quickly the long lingering shots became extremely dull, in fact if you removed the simplistic music from the film i wouldn't know what genre of film i was watching.

The Blu-ray case says it's an 18 certificate due to strong violence and sexual violence... i think the BBFC examiner probably fell asleep and just gave it the rating and advice a film like this may have gained because you can be sure as shit that nothing of the sort happens here.

For a few minutes i turned on Kat Ellinger's commentary and once again she proves horrendous to listen to. You know it's horror and stuff.

½ / 5

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 29th December 2021 at 05:41 PM.