View Single Post
Old 4th January 2022, 05:34 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Over the hols I watched......

NIGHT OF THE DEMON
Severin's Blu Ray absolutely smashes every release previous to this.
It's now possible to see exactly what's going on in every night scene.
Yeah the acting's crap,the budget was 10 dollars,but the effects still hit the spot.A midnight movie classic.
Just a pity Severin couldn't get a hold of Rituals.

PHANTOM OF THE MALL-ERIC'S REVENGE
Great little take on Phantom of the Opera with some nice inventive deaths.
Arrow's disc looks the biz.

STAGEFRIGHT
Soavi's debut film is well worth a revisit,especially in this Shameless restoration.It looks fantastic.
How many other slashers have a giant owl as a psycho?

FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN
There's a problem with the 4k colouring apparently,so I watched the BD disc which is included instead.
A fleapit classic,which is far more entertaining than Blood For Dracula,it's great to see this finally getting the treatment it deserves.
Can't see anyone topping VS's package.
Expensive,but worth EVERY penny.

STEEL AND LACE
An interesting rape 'n' revenge flick with a twist that the victim is turned into a cyborg by her NASA scientist brother.
Sleazy Wall Street-type villains make for satisfying slaughter-fodder.
Recommended.

WOLFEN
A film I never tire of,I bought a nice Spanish release with reversible artwork.
A classic eco horror thriller.Apparently Dustin Hoffman was interested in playing Dewey Wilson,but Wadleigh insisted on Albert Finney.
Can't imagine anyone else in the role tbh....

NIGHT OF THE BIG HEAT
Christopher Lee,Peter Cushing and Patrick Allen fight alien radioactive blobs which don't show up to the finale,so it's testament to the fine actors involved that they keep your attention for 75 minutes of the running time.

CITY OF THE DEAD
Classic creepy atmospheric film from John Llewllyn Moxey about witchcraft revenge in a Massachusetts town.
Interestingly,the film takes a leaf from Psycho's book by killing off what appears to be the main character halfway through...
Brilliant.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.