View Single Post
Old 17th January 2022, 03:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I had a double bill of 28 Days Later... (2002) and 28 Weeks Later (2007) on Blu-ray last night.

The first film looks terrible and no better than the dvd (I compared) due to the way Danny Boyle shot it digitally for a (crap) documentary feel. However it remains a tense, claustrophobic experience, even if it is simply a remake of the BBC's Day of the Triffids (1981). Excellent performances all round from Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, Megan Burns, Christopher Eccleston and Brendan Gleeson.

28 Weeks Later fares much better in the HD stakes, looking like a proper film even if some of the gorilla style film making elements remain. Thankfully following the catastrophic events of the first film where a pandemic either wipes out most of the UK's population or turns them into rage induced infected mutants. Thankfully the Americans (Including Jeremy Renner (Playing a sniper no less) and Rose Byrne turn up to save the day creating a safe zone in London for those not infected. So obviously nothing will go wrong.

Both are excellent films but the most pleasure i gained was hearing the pulsing theme music from John Murphy, particularly in the second film where it features heavily. I'd forgotten it, but it's brilliant and has definitely been used many times since.

When you see rats running from something you know some shit is heading your way. The second one was more tense with the theme added in when they've lost control, Idris Elba saying that was like "oh shit".