View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2022, 10:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Amityville II: The Possession (1982)

Although superior to the dull 1979 film this is pretty unremarkable stuff. Basically a prequel it tells of the murders that turned the Amityville house into a home for ghostly squatters.

At times Italian director Damiano Damiani gives the film a more European feel than expected with some nicely crafted prowling camera work but for the most this is standard supernatural stuff until we get to the finale when some brilliant gory special effects work kick in in gloriously graphic spaghetti style.

Memoirs of an Invisible Man (1992)

Probably the least John Carpenter style film i've ever seen. Last night was my second viewing (The first was on a plane way, way back). It's certainly very enjoyable, Chevy Chase, as always is good with the comedic aspects of the production and i laughed a few times, however i do think he's less successful as leading man / action hero material.

Carpenter ensures the action zips along and some of the effects are genuinely excellent, plus Sam Neill makes for a fun sneery villain, but this is as mainstream as John Carpenter gets so don't expect anything remotely resembling the classic Invisible Man film from the forties.