View Single Post
Old 28th February 2022, 10:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Director has ideas for Netflix Tcm 2

https://screenrant.com/texas-chainsa...-garcia-ideas/

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2: Director Already Has Cool Ideas For Sequel

Texas Chainsaw Massacre's director, David Blue Garcia, has a lot of ideas in his pocket if Legendary Pictures decides to greenlight a sequel.

WARNING: Spoilers for 2022's Texas Chainsaw Massacre are below.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre just dropped on Netflix, but the director is already planning a sequel. Legendary Pictures acquired the film rights to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise after Lionsgate lost them due to a delay in releasing 2017's Leatherface. This acquisition set Legendary on the path to shaping the franchise in their image, which they did by following one of the hottest modern blockbuster horror trends: the legacy sequel. It allows 2022's Texas Chainsaw Massacre to ignore every other entry in the franchise and only regard Tobe Hooper's iconic 1974 film as canon.

In David Blue Garcia's iteration of the classic slasher, Leatherface returns to form after being disturbed by a band of young entrepreneurs who wish to revitalize the old Texas town of Harlow. Evil Dead director Fede Alvarez produces and Mark Burnham dons the butcher's apron as Leatherface, alongside Sarah Yarkin as Melody, Elsie Fisher as Lila, and Olwen Fouéré as Sally Hardesty, the survivor of Hooper's terrifying film. Unlike recent legacy horror projects like Halloween Kills and Scream 5 that shield their long-term stars from any significant danger, Hardesty passes the final girl mantle over to sisters Melody (temporarily) and Lila in Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The shocking deaths of Hardesty and Lila open up new possibilities in the franchise moving forward.

Like with many big-budget franchise projects, Garcia already appears to have ideas to take advantage of those new possibilities. In an interview with THR, he admits that "I have some cool ideas that I'd love to have the opportunity to pitch if Legendary wants to make another one." Garcia does not explain what those "cool ideas" are, but whether or not they come to fruition seems to rest solely on Legendary's desire for more TCM films. Check out the full quote below:

“I’ve actually brainstormed quite a bit about what would happen in a continuation of this story, or just another tale in this world. I have some really cool ideas that I’d love to have the opportunity to pitch if Legendary wants to make another one,” says Garcia. “There’re also things when I watched this movie that I look back on and I wish I had done, so I’ve got those in my back pocket if I get to do another one. And of course, there’s that teaser at the end of the film, so there’s definitely a future to explore.”

Theoretically, there are plenty of places that a Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 could go. If following the process of other legacy sequels, especially David Gordon Green's Halloween, it could see the continuously-aging Leatherface colliding with Lila once again, joined by an entirely new cast of characters. Or, like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, a modern sequel could avoid the first survivor angle altogether, focusing on an entirely new storyline instead. Then again, Garcia makes a point to mention the after-credits sequence of Leatherface journeying to the infamous house from the 1974 film, indicating that he could very well be aiming to recreate the carnage he initially wrought inside it.

As for Legendary, it's almost a surefire bet that the company will at least show an interest in a sequel to Garcia's film. According to the Global Top 10 metrics for Netflix's English-language films just last week, Texas Chainsaw Massacre ranked number 2 and drew over 29,180,000 hours of viewing. The critical reactions may be verging on abysmal, but those kinds of numbers indicate a renewed attraction to a horror franchise that was dipping in quality over several recent films. Garcia also hinted at ideas he left out of the 2022 film, so it sounds like a likely Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 will not be short on new, gruesome scenes

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 1st March 2022 at 12:03 PM.