View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2022, 02:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

THE BLACK ROOM – Somewhere up in the Hollywood hills, a brother and sister keep a shadowy room where people come to play… you really wish someone would set the world straight about ‘The Black Room’, a sorely neglected early eighties horror that seems to have slipped by along the way. At its heart is quite a serious meditation on fantasy and the damage it can cause if its place in a relationship isn’t understood, but the trappings are those of a post-Cronenberg vampire movie. Its murky atmosphere is matched by few other films from around the time, and the layers of stylisation, from the photography to the spacey score, create a feeling of bad-dream detachment unequalled by, say, the more exaggerated artifice of something like the following year’s ‘The Hunger.’ Somebody out there… but I’m guessing there’s a reason it hasn’t been given ‘the treatment’, as it would make such an obvious choice for so many of today’s labels, boutique or not.
Perhaps the company execs all think "Didn't Eureka release that as part of their Karloff at Columbia set?" and dismiss it.

I know when i saw it in your review i thought "Cool, Frankie's watching the classics on the thirties and forties for a change"

I was wrong.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 2nd April 2022 at 02:42 PM. Reason: c