View Single Post
Old 16th May 2022, 11:27 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Urban Legends: Bloody Mary (2005)

The third installment in the Urban Legend film series to date,. that is let down by it's budgetary restraints meaning it lacks the cinematic style and look of the previous two entries.

Probably because i've just bought this on Blu-ray as part of the 88 Films Urban Legend box set i was determined to enjoy it and thankfully did more than on my previous dvd outings.

The story is about a high school girl who inadvertantly releases a long dead spirit of the urban legend Bloody Mary (Candyman was based on this same urban legend so you'll know the ins and outs) as one by one her friends start to die. Nothing really new but it's fairly fun all the same but the finale is predictable from the first few scenes - I think because i guessed who was the main protagonist was very quickly the first time i watched it back in the mid 00's it disappointed and remains kind of disappointing.

However there's one pretty spectacular death scene involving spiders and a broken mirror that's the highlight of the film and is great fun. Sadly high definition doesn't help said scene as it brings out the CGI in more detail and looks really fake in regards to the spiders otherwise it's a nice homage to clasic death scenes from the Argento and Fulci canons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images (1).jpg (89.1 KB, 4 views)