View Single Post
Old 11th August 2022, 03:39 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

OBSCURE

ObsCure is a survival horror game whose reputation is certainly matched by its title. New Yorker Magazine wit aside, ObsCure is a nifty little teenage horror that really does deserve to be better known. It brings enough new elements to the table to help it stand out from other Resident Evil clones.

The game utilises a buddy system (that actually allows for couch co-op), and it never feels awkward. The locations are just wide enough to allow easy traversal without hitting each other. Right from the start, the game lets you pick from four characters, each with their own unique strengths. You can swap between them whenever you want, but I always stuck with Josh (whose skill is in finding items), and Stan (a master of unlocking). I played solo, and I must commend the AI. My buddy never got in the way, nor did he waste ammo and health kits like Sheva did with gleeful abandon in Resident Evil 5.

The controls are really fluid too. Although 3D like The X-Files: Resist or Serve, ObsCure’s camera is a lot more considerate, and I never once felt confused. Also, when the camera does switch positions, the controls do not reset until you stop moving.

Combat is interesting too. The enemies are photosensitive, which means you can smash windows to allow sunlight in to kill them. However, when night falls, you are forced to rely on a flashlight. Said flashlight will not kill the enemy, but will weaken them. This creates moments of tension for the player. Do you waste a whole clip taking down a rampaging beastie, or will you risk a wallop or two weakening the enemy’s defences, before taking it down with three rounds. To the game’s credit, it never feels played out, and does a much better job with the concept than Alan Wake did.

Of course, there are flaws. Using items and swapping weapons is cumbersome as there is no inventory system. Instead, you need to hold down the shoulder buttons, and use the D-pad to switch between items and weapons. I can see what they were trying for, but trying to cure your partner when you are both besieged by monsters requires more dexterity than the average King of Fighters game.

The story is fine for what it is, but it does collapse when you think about it for more than a second. What’s most disappointing is how the game squanders its characters and setting. Although they are teenagers from the early 2000s (nu-metal, and all that), they are not obnoxious or hateful. They even show concern about each other’s wellbeing (the story is kicked off by a vanishing teenager). But they lack any real development or growth. I’m not expecting Joseph Conrad writing here, but a few conversations, some jokes, potential romance, and perhaps some conflict of ideas would have endeared me more to them.

The school itself is a delight. What once looked regal is now decrepit, with bathrooms stinking, wallpaper fading and tearing, and cracks, holes and leaks appearing everywhere. At first, I had assumed that this was a school for those below the poverty line, and would have explained the authorities lack of interest in the weird happenings at the school. Sadly, it was just the artists having fun making a spooky school.

Which is a shame. The game was in a position to make an interesting subtext about class divisions (the antagonists are from wealth and privilege), and it could have dug into teenage fears and mistrust of adults. That it doesn’t do any of this is not a big loss, but it might have secured the game a lasting legacy.

ObsCure is definitely worth playing. It took me about six hours to finish it, but I didn’t feel like I was short-changed. It was well paced, and it never dragged. Finishing the game unlocks special modes and weapons, but I’m not especially interested in that stuff. The puzzles were fun, the combat was stimulating, and it carried a top-notch atmosphere. ObsCure commands ridiculous prices on the second-hand market (at least £50!!!), but there is a PC port on Steam. During a sale, I paid €4 for it and its sequel. This is a decent port that has no extra bells and whistles, but it works flawlessly. You do, however, lose the licenced soundtrack exclusive to the console editions. This might be an issue, but if you’re the type to mourn the loss of Sum41 songs, you may have bigger issues.