Old 13th August 2022, 10:06 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Mary Poppins Returns. 2018.

An hour in to this film and I had to switch it off, this has no hold over the original, sorry Julie Andrews is the only Mary Poppins, no disrespect to Emily Blunt who is a good actress but why is she speaking with a prim and proper English accent that does not suit her. Way over the top with CGI effects, can the makers not have gone old school?
I hope you give this another go, Mr B. I love Mary Poppins and was sceptical about this and whether it would be anywhere near as good as the 1964 film.

It didn't take me long, probably while she was singing 'The Place Where Lost Things Go' for me to relax and fully accept Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins. I think I even cried a couple of times, the first time during that song. I really liked Lin Manuel Miranda's lamplighter and thought his songs were excellent.

If you're wondering why Emily Blunt has 'a prim and proper English accent ', it's because that's an exaggerated version of she sounds when she isn't acting with an American accent – I think she sounds almost exactly the same as Julie Andrews" portrayal of the English nanny.

The highest praise for the film probably came from Mark Kermode, an uber-fan of Mary Poppins (1964) who had a similar reaction to me and loved Mary Poppins Returns.