View Single Post
Old 28th August 2022, 07:48 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

The very last movie watched on my Cambridge dvd player of eleven years. And what a way to go out!

Trick r' Treat director Michael Dougherty really knows how to frame a shot and although the movie is a CGI FX fest Dougherty gets so much more out of the medium than the majority of blockbuster directors. How best to describe it?

Godzilla: King of Monsters is like every great heavy metal album cover from the 80's brought to life in a motion picture. It was an absolute joy for these eyes to take in. I haven't seen the first Godzilla film but understand there wasn't much monster action during the first half, well that's rectified here with the monsters or 'Titans' as they are referred to, in action from the beginning of this two hour film. All the titans looked impressive especially the three headed King Ghidorah and of course Godzilla himself.

For what in other less capable hands i'd be suggesting this was a CGI shitfest this movie has a strong cast of acting talent such as Vera Farmiga, Zhang Ziyi, The West Wing's Bradley Whitford, Charles Dance who is seemingly morphing into Christopher Lee in his later years and the always excellent Ken Watanabe, meaning all the scenes without Titans are as engrossing as those with.

I really wasn't sure what i'd make of this movie but took a chance on it and it was a chance well worth taking. I loved it.
So, watching again but this time on Blu-ray - I double dipped on it soon after getting a Blu-ray player - and everything i said still stands.

It remains an eighties heavy metal album cover come to life via a QLED tv screen only this time i heard the action via Dolby Atmos full surround sound at ear splitting levels.

A fantastic audio visual experience.