View Single Post
Old 4th October 2022, 05:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 3rd

31 (2016)

Five carnival workers are kidnapped one Halloween and held hostage in an abandoned, hell-like compound where they are forced to participate in a deadly game, the goal of which is to survive twelve hours against a gang of sadistic clowns.

The problem with Rob Zombie's 31 is that it's a largely plotless affair that feels like it should be some sort of sequel to The Devil's Rejects as all the characters feel very familiar even if they actually aren't. Whilst it's well made, fairly graphic and fast paced, It felt as if Zombie was treading water rather than exploring new levels as i felt he had dome with the rest of his movies.

Like the Firefly clan films this is full of anti-heroes and proves a decidedly grubby and seedy affair. The language is coarse throughout and sex when it's on screen looks dirty rather than any kind of titillating. The clowns depicted are scary, filthy smeary white make up coloured red with congealed blood especially Richard Brake's chief clown sicko.

Oh hell, when i come to think about it how can you knock a film whose first murderous clown is a Mexican midget with a Hitler moustache and Swastika daubed on it's chest?

Meanwhile it's lovely and to be honest very refreshing that Zombie still casts older performers in his films rather than teens. Say hello Meg Foster, Judy Geeson, Malcolm McDowell etc.

However the ending, playing out to Aerosmith's Dream On, was excellent and like the aforementioned Devil's Rejects ending, will stick in the memory long after viewing as will another classic Rob Zombie tracking shot throughout the end credits.

I wasn't struck on this first time around but after last night's viewing (Third or fourth) i'm starting to love this grubby slice of pulp exploitation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 032709.jpg-r_1280_720-f_jpg-q_x-xxyxx.jpg (13.2 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 4th October 2022 at 06:15 PM.