View Single Post
Old 9th October 2022, 08:16 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
I'm not fully sure. A lot of old Japanese housing doesn't really stand against elements and earthquakes, and they are extremely difficult to set up modern piping and heating. I know here in Shikoku, I could get an old house for less than what I pay for my flat, but it would be a nightmare in winter and typhoon season.

I do know this - if a suicide or murder happens in a house or apartment, the value plummets. Even with that value gone, it is next to impossible for a real-estate agent to sell it to another prospective homeowner. So they usually offload it to a construction company, who will tear it down and build modern housing instead.
Forgot to mention...

Within my city, near city hall, is an abandoned coffee shop. Despite sitting between two modern buildings, it is in shambles. The windows are shattered. Weeds have overtaken the exterior. The wood is rotting.

I found out that the owner committed suicide, and the place has been abandoned since. It is an optimal location for a new coffee shop owner, but nobody dares buy it. And it's too small to knock down and replace with a new apartment block or car park.

It will probably sit there until it completely falls apart.