View Single Post
Old 13th October 2022, 09:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Shining (1980)

Watching the 144 minute US cut for the first time felt more like reading Stephen King's novel which looks at the dysfunctional family / abusive father aspects more than the shorter international cut of the film ever did and proves a more satisfying experience. However it's still not a patch on the novel which is for this reviewer his best work.

Starring Shelley Duvall, young Danny Lloyd and Jack Nicholson - who appears f*cking unhinged well before the Overlook gets it's clutches into him - and directed by Stanley Kubrick who effectively chills the viewer rather than shocks in a work of stealthy discomfort rather than any sort of blood and guts horror popular at the time.

The Elstree studio set is stunning, the Overlook Hotel is magnificent in it's design, Kubrick uses a gliding steadicam throughout and produces some amazing shots both indoor and outdoor that are as crazy (In a good way) as Nicholson's performance is disturbing even though at times he verges on the hammy.

I never enjoyed the film until i re-read the novel a few years ago. Shelley Duvall was always kinda' off putting but i'm getting used to her now and her performance no longer grates with me like finger nails down a chalk board. Last night was my best watch yet thanks to the gorgeous Blu-ray image quality.

Anyone would be unhinged being married to Duvalls character in this!

Nothing like she is in the book.