View Single Post
Old 21st October 2022, 10:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh (1995)

I thought this was pretty darned good when i saw it at the cinema and i still do, so much so that i picked up the 88 Films Blu in the recent 2 for £15 promotion.

I love the New Orleans locations. They have a real sense of unease that anything could go wrong. The gnarly trees, Mardi Gras which is always pretty creepy (Moonraker probably put that idea into my head at an early age...thanks Jaws) and just the general Southern Gothic feel and generally haunted atmosphere the are exudes.

There are some great set pieces. One death is pretty damn gruesome and shocking at it's placing in the movie as is watching Kelly Rowan and boyfriend Timothy Carhart in their chilling exploration of her old house. Whilst Tony Todd as the silky voiced yet merciless Candyman is up there with the great horror villains.

Meanwhile the action on screen is accompanied by Phillip Glass' equally haunting score which reverberates round a 5:1 surround system.

So whilst Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh probably doesn't live up to the first film's classic status i really enjoy it.
I don't know what it is but I prefer this one to it's predecessor but hated Candyman: Day Of The Dead.