View Single Post
Old 31st October 2022, 12:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 30th

Shadow of the Cat (1961)

In a change from what i thought was my scheduled viewing i decided to go with a couple of films i really wanted to watch again. First off from the shiny new Indicator Blu-ray box set i fancied a bit of Barbara Shelley, along with Hazel Court my favourite horror leading lady from the classic horror period.

For all their Gothic leanings Hammer never really ventured or even strayed down two paths - The typical old dark house chiller and the stories of Edgar Allan Poe. Poe you could argue had been a mainstay for AIP and Roger Corman from 1959 onwards but the lack of old dark house films is surprising when you think about it. Of course many Hammer films featured old dark houses but never really the 'old dark house' traits of 'expected inheritances', 'weird and wonderful freaky families' and of course murders on dark and stormy nights.

However Shadow of the Cat would change all that. A Hammer film in all but name, Shadow of the Cat was directed by John Gilling and filmed at Bray Studios, the home of Hammer yet their name is nowhere to be seen on the films credits, instead that honour goes to BHP Productions due to Hammer's contractual obligations to Columbia in America.

The film itself is a definitely mixture of Poe's The Black Cat and classic old dark house horror. The cat from the title witnesses the murder of it's owner and seemingly takes revenge on those responsible and those who turn up to the reading of her will intent on taking all they can. The only one who has no agenda is played by Hammer's most talented female star Barbara Shelley, who constantly stands up for the cat amid the desperation and paranoia to kill it.

For what is very much a Hammer b-movie Shadow of the Cat has a terrific ensemble cast. As well as Shelley we have Andre Morell, Freda Jackson, William Lucas and Conrad Phillips and they all have substantial and / or pivotal roles. The house itself - Bray Studios - naturally looks great and director John Gilling and photographer Arthur Grant's black and white cinematography is both beautiful and innovative, especially in the way murders are seen from a slightly distorted cats eye view which lends proceeding both a memorable and creepier edge.

When all's said and done, Shadow of the Cat isn't absolute top level Hammer, but for fans of Barbara Shelley and 'old dark house' thrillers it's a must see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2_shadow-of-the-cat-40x60-1961.jpg (83.6 KB, 2 views)