View Single Post
Old 6th December 2022, 01:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Slinger

SLINGER (1989)

As mentioned in my Cyborg review, the film was pulled from writer-director Albert Pyun, and re-edited by the studio, the star, and the American censors. And just to kick him while he's down, they did a soundtrack that was completely different from the rock score Pyun intended.

Cyborg developed a cult following over the years, and has even seen some slight critical reappraisal, if only for the fact that something decent came out of the disastrous production. However, in 2012, the original composer found a VHS of the workprint he was using to write the music. Pyun now how had the chance to show fans something that was closer to his vision.

For starters, it's now called Slinger, after Van Damme's character profession. There is no plague, and the cyborg that was central to the theatrical cut is not as relevant to the story anymore. While the film still has a lot of the action from the previous version, it doesn't feel as action packed. There's a lot more breathing space (despite being about four minutes shorter than the theatrical cut), and a surprising religious subtext that gives the crucifixion scene a lot more relevance.T he aspect ratio has also changed, switching from 1.85:1 to 2.20:1. Maybe there's a technical reason for this, but Pyun was a fan of widescreen filmmaking.

And, of course, the soundtrack. This is one of my favourite soundtracks ever. The opening credits alone had me rising to my feet to mosh to it. It even has some techno-rock, which is extraordinary for an American film from 1989. My only criticism is that there's not as much music as I expected, which may have something to do with the origins to this cut.

This is not a proper director's cut. This is something Pyun has salvaged from surviving elements. He didn't have access to any deleted negatives, and as a result, the editing is a little sloppy in parts. I'm sure he didn't have the funding to produce some extra money, since this was something Pyun put together in his own time.

Slinger is imperfect, and will never not be. But I strongly recommend everybody to give it a chance. It is an experience, and is far removed from the genericity that was a Cyborg. I hesitate to call Slinger an art film, but it is a film with some very artisitic ambitions. It's audience is perhaps more limited than Cyborg's, but if you're willing to open your mind, as well as your ears, you'll find something very special here.