View Single Post
Old 5th January 2023, 01:57 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Only thing I disagree on is Ben Affleck's casting in the Zach Snyder films. He suits the version of the character portrayed in those films.
Right...

I'm off on one as you can probably tell if you read my Exorcist rant.

Batman as I see it depends on what you've read or what you want the character to be, it's the Superhero/ Star wars/ James Bond/ Dr Who crossover point where everybody wants them to be based on the shit they know, but when a character/ franchise has been going so long a new film inevitably pleases a few people but can't please everyone at once.

i watched the new Batman film the other day and also the newest James Bond film.

And before I say anything else I liked the brutality of Affleck (although it's not my batman i realise he has been this) but thought he was a non existent Bruce Wayne.

Same with Pattercake, there is no real depth to his characterisation, he never smiles, never quips, there's no emotion, that's kinda how i've always found Daniel Craig's Bond.

What stands out for Moore and Keaton is that they've got a personality and these are my favourite variations.

Maybe that's modern life, has anybody young got a personality these days beyond being an internet platform sheep?

Anyway I enjoyed the new batman up to a point, like every film these days it was too long, performances were good although like Joker echoing Taxi driver this seemed to echo seven a lot. I think i thought the new catwoman was the standout performance, but still prefer Pfeiffer.

I liked this, I like Dark knight but i really think being ultra realistic kills any of the enjoyment, yes they are good films but if i wanted to watch someone taking down a crime syndicate i'd watch the Untouchables.

Comic book characters are absurd, Batman looks like a twat dressed like a bat standing with ultra serious forensic dudes. If it was real life there would be at least half an hour of people ripping the shit out of him before he even got to the clues.

Nothing would ever get done.

I like Batman to be darker than Superman but by making everything ultra realistic it makes figures of imagination and childhood excitement dull.

How can you have Poison Ivy with twisting vines in a modern Batman film, Man bat, clayface, Mr freeze, Solomon Grundy?

I grew up with 70's Batman comics, Burtons was the closest to my vision on film , but i've said it before and will say it again, the Arkham console games are to me the best adaption, dark and moody, but the characters are recognisable yet still somehow all fit into the same world.

These heroes, wether Star Wars/ Batman/ James Bond are extensions of real life, caricatures, absurd exaggerations. By making the figures too real we are robbing them of their status, effect and identity.

I want Batman/ James Bond to be absurd, the reason i fell in love with these characters is because they weren't me, a flight of fancy, excitement, exaggeration.

It's like finding the most flexible, interesting, kung fu, pirate, Robin Hood, Sinbad mother****er then saying we want you to sit in a room and talk about fruit and moss.

..And by the way i liked No time to die, i thought it was Craig's best Bond film, It had the lair, gadgets, so that sold it, but i also thought the cinematography was interesting, and I thought the emotional attachments "ahem" made it interesting., never liked Craig though, what a miserable bastard...

Also what was that with having a car chase in batman almost entirely shot from inside the cars, i liked the chase and the visuals but a bit of car outside action would have added a bit of contrast and made the sequence much more exciting.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 5th January 2023 at 03:34 AM.