View Single Post
Old 18th January 2023, 10:46 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I have that book and the Vampire version by Stephen Jones, any of these overview review books I tend to take with a pinch of salt, ever since growing up with Alan Franks Horror film book i make my own mind up, the amount of films he was stuffy about that i love is inconceivable.

Still those Jones books feature quite a few obscure titles listed so always worth a gander and any kind of review will be based upon the reviewers personal taste.
That's what i was saying though. The book and his reviews are thirty years old. How many of the films reviewed would he have actually seen in the making of the book? Not many i'd suggest.

It's not like he could watch some obscure film on Youtube, or buy the Indicator box set, so much will be based on memory or the memories of those he spoke to who are thanked at the beginning.

He's way more hands on now in the horror film genre. Back then he was a book editor and that's about it. Since dvd took hold - 8-10 years after this book - he's been involved in numerous documentaries and commentaries as dvd extras so his thoughts will have changed as ours do the more familiar we get with these films.

For example, my thoughts on The Shining have changed dramatically over the years but they wouldn't had i just seen it once on tv in the 80's.