View Single Post
Old 20th January 2023, 11:00 PM
Cult Addict

Dracula. Tod Browning. 1931.

I have to confess, this is only the second time I've watched this version of the classic story. I think if truth be told the last time, about 2001, I just wasn't that taken with it. It was a little on the dull side next to Whales classics Frankenstein or The Invisible Man.
This time around I was far more engaged, thoroughly appreciating it for the original gothic horror it is. Sadly its a film I think suffers under the weight of its own iconic status, difficult to watch today without thinking of the Count from Sesame Street or other silly spoof representations. Its a great shame because Brownings film if one remembers to watch it with context in mind is so gothic it hurts. Mist and fog and eerie scenes abound. Old crumbling castles or the ruins of Carfax Abbey give a wonderful sense of place and I feel help massively in taking the film away from the more stagey aspects.
Elements of the film are also much darker and nastier than I remembered. For the era at least.
Lugosi is a horror star I have a lot of time for but have never viewed in the same light as his contemporary Karloff. Here he excels, if one remembers he hasn't done a load of later poverty row pictures or gloriously silly Ed Wood projects.
While it won't replace Frankenstein as my favourite Universal Horror, yes unlike many I prefer Whale's original. I had a great time with Dracula a few nights ago now viewed through older wearier eyes. I look forward to revisiting sooner rather than later.

Last edited by J Harker; 21st January 2023 at 07:59 AM.